United Nations Shadowing Programme 2023: opportunity for Ukrainian students
22 August 2023
Want to gain exciting insights into the world of the United Nations in Vienna? A new virtual edition of the Shadowing Programme will take place from 24 October to 24 November 2023.
The Shadowing Programme takes place to help mark United Nations Day (24 October) and offer students the opportunity to have a one-hour virtual encounter with a UN staff member, join a virtual guided tour through the Vienna International Centre (VIC) and a virtual career workshop. It is coordinated by UNIS Vienna and organized in cooperation with all participating Vienna-based organizations.
Staff members from the following Vienna-based organizations will join the programme:
- International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) - www.iaea.org
- Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) https://www.ctbto.org/
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) - https://www.unodc.org/
- United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) - www.unoosa.org
- United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs (UNODA) - www.un.org/disarmament/vienna
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Office in Austria – www.unhcr.at
- United Nations Information Service (UNIS) Vienna - www.unis.unvienna.org
- International Commission for the Protection of the Danube River (ICPDR) - https://www.icpdr.org/main/
- United Nations Liaison Office for Peace and Security in Vienna (UNLOPS Vienna) - https://unlops.unmissions.org/
- IOM Vienna Regional Office - https://rovienna.iom.int
Students enrolled in a Master's or PhD programme at Universities in the following countries are encouraged to apply: Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Czechia, Georgia, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Türkiye, and Ukraine.
The call for applications will be open from 29 September until 8 October 2023. Details on the application will be announced in September. Please visit our website for the latest information on the Shadowing Programme 2023.
Please note: Available spots are limited. The application might be closed earlier once the maximum number of applications has been received by the participating UN organization. Furthermore, the Shadowing Programme is not part of a recruiting process. It is an opportunity for students to gain insights into the work of a UN staff member.
The United Nations in Vienna
Vienna is one of the four headquarters of the United Nations, along with New York, Geneva and Nairobi. Since its opening on 23 August 1979 the VIC has become home to several different UN organizations. More than 5,000 employees from over 125 countries work for the 16 international organizations and units of the UN in Vienna.