Not only restaurants and flowers: alternative ways to celebrate 8 of March
To commemorate International Women's Day visit exhibitions, participate in an essay contest, join flash mobs and marches!
While some of you might have already booked tables in the restaurants, there’s much more to do on 8 March (and later too). Did you hear much about Ukrainian women in art and culture, science or business? Or perhaps you want to share your success story with the world?
Together with the UN in Ukraine we created an alternative list of “must do” to celebrate International Women’s Day throughout Ukraine. Visit exhibitions, participate in an essay contest, join flash mobs and marches!
Note! All these activities are full of inspiration and free! Join them and contribute to celebrating women’s achievements and equality for all everywhere (hint: it is a real purpose of this day).
- HeForShe Arts Week 2021 (8-14 March) – the art marathon celebrating women in Ukrainian art and culture. 26 different events in 7 cities of Ukraine.
Website with the event calendar: https://heforsheukraine.info/artsweek2021/3/
- SHE IS SCIENCE exposition in Gulliver Trade Mall (Kyiv, March 4-8) will be available for everybody on the 2nd floor of the trade center. Immerse yourself in the world of interesting science and see that science is not exclusively a man's domain.
- Women’s Marches throughout Ukraine
Join the march in your city to support equality and stand up for women’s rights!
Other cities in Ukraine: Lviv, Poltava, Kramatorsk, Kharkiv, Khmelnytskyi (8 березня, 12:00, Кінотеатр Шевченка), Uzhhorod (8 березня, 13:00, від парку ім Т. Масарика - до пам'ятника Землі), Zaporizhzhia, Dnipro, Chernivtsi, Kherson, Lutsk.
More information is available here: https://www.facebook.com/events/3042612392662209
- Is there any vaccine against stereotypes, domestic violence and inequality? Unfortunately, not. But there are concrete steps that could be done to solve these issues. Hromadske media has designed series of T-shirts to stand against violence, sexism and inequality. A T-shirt can be ordered here - http://bit.ly/3uuDlPW
- Flash mob by the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine. Tell the story of how you chose to pursue your dreams and ambitions; decided what to study or what your occupation would be; or made other important life choices and get a chance to win small gifts! Let’s speak out in solidarity, inspire others and celebrate women’s achievements together!
- Essay contest among young women and girls. If you are a girl of 14-21 years old, pick a female scientist from here https://stemisfem.org and write an essay. 12 best essay writers will get gifts from the partners. The 1st place gift -- education scholarship. Details here: https://www.unicef.org/ukraine/press-releases/she-is-science-competition
- Women in Arts Award (March 12) is aimed to support and promote the professional advancement of Ukrainian women in the field of arts and culture of Ukraine. Online premier of the documentary about the winners of the Women in Arts Award will be launched on MEGOGO streaming service on March 13. The film will be available for everybody for free.
- A series of events in Kharkiv (3-28 March) aimed to combat discrimination and break stereotypes about women. More information as well as registration are available here: https://www.facebook.com/events/313150997069791/
- Online screening and discussion of the film "Champion" (8 March, Kyiv). It is a documentary about a Roma girl who is preparing for a prestigious boxing match. After a film, there will be a discussion of it with the invited experts. The registration is required.
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/172213058041659/
- Series of online events "Women's rights are always on time: the challenges of a pandemic" (Chernivtsi, 1-8 March). Stories of businesswomen, politics without sexism, film screening and discussion etc - there are plenty of options to choose from.
More information here: https://fb.me/e/3G3LI4yRs
- Panel discussions with business leaders about women’s leadership in business and Women Empowerment Principles.
It is completely up to you to decide how to celebrate this day. Let’s just remember that we are all equal, men and women, and this day is a good opportunity to stand altogether for equality.